Friday, December 01, 2006

Knitting with two colours

O.k., So last Christmas I knitted two friends a scarf each using that lovely fluffy, soft wool that everyone seems to have a scarf in at the moment. Unfortunately the only colours available were a mauve and a baby blue but I was short on cash so that was what they got and bless them, they still wear them when we meet up sometimes!

My latest adventure into the world of knitting is to make a draught excluder for a friend who's just moved into a very pretty but draughty farm cottage. She decided she wanted red and yellow. This point I gulped as I've never done anything that involves two different wools before but I figured - "Hey, it can't be that difficult". And you know what, it isn't.

I didn't even bother to look up any knitting instructions on the net, I just flew by the seat of my pants and did it. Basically I just cut the wool as I was approaching the end of a row and tied the new colour onto the cut end and hey presto I started knitting in yellow instead of red. Granted, I misjudged the length of wool required to reach the end of the row and so have about 8 yellow stitches finishing off that row but so what - I'm a novice.

If anyone out there has any tips on how to achieve a better result please let me know.

No comments: